5 Self-care Tips for the Empath
First of all, you know you are an Empath because you are here. If you are a bit unsure, read more over here on this article. <<<
As a highly sensitive person, it is necessary to continue your self-care routines daily, not just when you remember. So before we even get into that, I want to tell you to write on your calendar “self-care time” and devote at least 15 minutes a day to it.
I teach intuitive people how to best care for their emotions and improve their relationship with their thoughts. When we get into overwhelm mode as an Empath, lots of things start to happen to us. We feel physically sick, suffer from headaches, begin to feel drained, and literally have no energy for our own lives. I know we want to look around at the world and shut down at this point, but this is the time we have to get serious about our own needs. Do not feel guilty here. We must put on our own oxygen masks first by practicing self-care.
What happens when we don’t take of ourselves?
I want you to think back to the last few weeks. Look over your calendar as you do so and put a “heart” on any activity where you took care of yourself. Put a “minus” next to anything you were doing where you felt drained, depleted and possibly had to rest the next day. Only you know the answer to this and only you can be honest with yourself and your schedule. Are you showing up in your own life as the director or perhaps the side kick? How many hearts are in your calendar? How many activities do you plan just for you? Do you make note of that? Try to keep a record for a week of anything you have done after reading this article and see what happens. Begin with these 5 self-care tips for the Empath and keep adding to them.
5 Self-care Tips for the Empath:
- Cut off all electronics at least 30 minutes prior to going to bed. There are lots of reasons for this including various studies on brain waves, the light, and more, but for us, it’s also about what we are feeling through the social media feed. The routine that will nurture your soul is not found online right before bed unless you are searching for a journal prompt. <<
- Cultivate an attitude of gratitude to elevate your energy daily. Because we feel so much and we see way more than we let on, we start to feel very alone and perhaps a wee bit mistrustful of others. This lack of trust leads us into isolation and hermit mode as we know that at least alone in our thoughts, we can’t let ourselves down. While we feel this is true, we actually do need a support system and ways to feel grateful again about the world around us. I have created a support system in my closed group, but it is also important to note what we are grateful for each day that might seem to be a coincidence, but truly, is not.
- Learn to distance yourself from the drama and anyone you truly know is lying to you. As you begin to create better boundaries for your Empath world, things start to feel lighter and more free. A lack of good and decent boundaries means that you will continue to suffer. Why? Energy vampires will continue ti drain you because of your good nature. Gently start to notice where you need to shore up the low places in your defenses and don’t feel guilty about saying “no” to things that zap your energy. The person who asks you for help 24/7 and never once has taken your advice. The angry person who doesn’t lift a finger to change themselves, but vents to you. The “time warper” who messages you and hours later you are like “Where has my night gone?” and you feel a headache coming on. <<< Sign of a person leeching your energy away.
- Meditate, or learn yoga poses to cope with getting centered and grounded. I started recording a few yoga poses monthly for my club because I don’t want people to think they have to do an hour-long flow. No. You can do one pose a day, and I even break it down to chair yoga for those who want that, but it can be really simple. I am convinced that those who want to change, will. Those who want to feel better, quite simply will. If you are reading this, you are probably pretty sick of feeling sick in this world. I teach a 4 week course that is yours to keep for life on Journaling for the Empath which includes a break down of steps to take to clear your energy and start realizing what is yours and what might be taken on from others. <<< It can be repeated as often as needed to clear your thoughts and align with your own energy.
- Do a check on what you have done for yourself weekly. Not sure how to do that? My free Empath self-care checklist is in the club! Make time to get outside, read, journal, meditate, do yoga, get grounded and many more self-care routines that are truly available to us each and everyday. Learn to see your gift as a gift and not a burden. Life truly is what you make my soul friend, and I hope this inspired you to make it a great one!
Feel free to us this graphic to Pin it to your boards.