5 Self-care Tips to Lighten Your Load.
self-care n. The care of oneself without medical, professional, or other assistance or oversight.
Let’s pretend you have lots of time on your hands for a self-care regimen. What would it look like? Maybe you are not sure where to start.
Let’s take a look at your mind first.
- Have the right attitude. Did you know that looking at things from different points of view can actually lower your stress level? That’s right. Instead of automatically jumping to the wrong conclusion, you can think about something in a positive light or try to see it from a different perspective. This can actually bring you more success in life instead of constantly feeling like you have to be on the defense. Sure, there are moments when you want to fall back into your old negative thought patterns, but if they haven’t brought you anything but pain, try a few positive affirmations and move forward.
- Meditation is a powerful brain booster. Try some 5 minute “mind-training” to make it still or even some guided meditations to clear the mind. Be patient with yourself as this takes time to practice, but you will start to feel better once you master your mind.
Now let’s take inventory of your body.
- Get enough sleep. 8 hours a night of sound sleep is essential for stimulating new connections and brain growth. What are your obstacles to a good night’s sleep? Do you have an over-active mind, physical tension, undiagnosed sleep apnea or pain? Try a bedtime routine of a lavender bath, hot tea, and a simple meditation to clear the mind. Unplug from technology an hour before bed.
- Do you love to exercise? I already hear your “no” getting ready to form…but wait. What if it was walking with an old friend or adding the stairs to your day? Meeting a friend at yoga? Take my advice…add some movement to your day no matter what. Don’t wait for that friend though…because it may never happen and this is your self-care routine (not theirs). Make habits that you know you will stick to even if someone else can’t help you be accountable.
Lastly, let’s look at your spirit.
- Inform others about what you are doing and find like minds. This is the part that might be hard because you need human contact to nourish your spirit, but not everyone is in the same place as you are right this moment. In fact, some might never be ready to move forward. And that’s okay. This is your self-care routine. Hopefully others will be supportive of what you need to do to take care of you. As a for example…maybe your goal is to unplug more from messages and talk to people in real life. Encourage your friends to make that shift and see what happens. Who knows, maybe you will inspire others around you to move forward and take a look at what their spirit needs. I know that as someone working from home, I need to get out of the house and make contact with others at least once a week. That’s where my yoga practice comes in. It is soothing to feel the energy of others around me who are working towards the same goals. If you need more support, click the linked words.