Don’t let the headlines fool you friends. Kindness exists out there in the world just waiting for you to start the ripples. I have been a passionate supporter of kindness for many years, but even I drop the ball.
I was going through the archives here, that is the button on the side of the blog that lets you pull up past months, and I found in November I usually give you guys lots of ideas on how to spread kindness.
What exactly is kindness?
Kindness is the spirit of being friendly, generous and considerate.
Can I show kindness even if I don’t like people?
Yes you can. Even if you prefer not to talk to others, there are many ways you can practice just being kind in everyday life and see what happens; however, is you don’t really like going out or even interacting with others verbally, I still have some idea for you to try.
What do you mean by “ripple effect”?
The results of your effort or action will ripple out and continue on long after you have done your good deed or kind action.
Okay, I am willing to try it. How do I get involved?
- Operation Gratitude would love to have your help. They actually like to include at least 5 letters in these care packages that they send to deployed troops, new recruits and Veterans. They have been told these hand written letters of thanks, kindness and love are some of the most treasured items that the people who receive them get.
- I really like the above idea ^^^, but I want to send letters to someone who is really down in the dumps. In fact, I want to nominate someone to get letters! <<< yes. That’s a great idea. How do I do that? This site is really amazing and they read through the nominations and pick several to post for a 2 week period. So keep checking back on the site or write to someone who has been nominated already. The World Needs More Love Letters.
- Scan your day for 3 small things you have done to help someone else. Quite simply, smile at strangers, hold the door for someone, or say thank you by looking someone directly in the eye. Ask them how their day is, and mean it when you listen. You might be the only one to ask them that today. It can be the difference in something thinking no one notices them, to someone realizing they are worthy of notice.
- Give a “Shout Out” to one new person daily. On social media, through e-mail, or a hand written note on a desk without your name if you prefer. Tell them they are doing a good job and you notice their efforts at x. If you see a co-worker do something good when no one was looking, surprise them with a coffee or a gift card the next day. It really does create ripples.
- Pay attention to your mind, what you are sharing and what you are promoting out there. Do NOT mindlessly promote what you hate. Promote what you love. It really can be that simple my friends.