Hey guys, it’s Aimee. Surprise! I recorded a new Live video << around The Top 6 Christmas Wishes, but I wanted to write this out for you in case you missed it. You can watch it later if you want a bit of humor even if you are struggling. I want you to know that I have always used humor to help me through hard times.
Some time ago, I asked the readers of this blog on the page, what would they change or want if they could have a wish granted for the holidays? The truth is, I think the top 6 wishes apply to life, not just the holidays, but I wanted to get them out to you right now so you can think about ways to move forward today.
Coming from pain, it was very hard to want anything else except to live a life that would be as close to pain-free as possible. If you go back through the archives here, you know how difficult some years were. So today, I want to think back on this year and be thankful for what it has taught me.
The Top 6 Wishes:
- Health. Now apparently, there are lots of fake Buddha quotes out there, but this one I used to say to myself because you have to understand my humor. “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us be thankful.” Supposedly, it was a Buddhist Monk who said this, but not the Buddha. I want you to remember that we are learning through our trials, and we still have lots to be thankful for. I know I do.
- Love. “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ~Victor Hugo~ Today I spoke of the love we have not just for our spouses, partners, family, but for ourselves. I really hit on the phrase “in spite of ourselves” as we can do some really shitty things to people sometimes and we feel we are unworthy and not deserving of love. Love doesn’t come with clauses and loopholes. Remember that. You are loved for yourself and that means even if you mess up in a big way. If someone holds that against you, well, they need a reminder of this quote too.
- Belonging. “Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky, but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” ~Brené Brown~ Repeat this to yourself. Embracing vulnerabilities is risky….yes, yes it is. But not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy. << Do not give up my friends, because as I have told you, even in my darkest hours, sitting with my deepest pain, I knew deep down inside I was worthy of joy. I was worthy of belonging, even if I felt different from everyone in the entire world, and I damn sure wasn’t giving up on love. I had found it and I was going to work through my pain to come back to me again. Check this out later>> Want to Make Friends After 40? <<
- Family Drama…to be healed. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” ~Richard Bach~ Again today I repeated “but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” You know, some of my family didn’t respect my choices to heal. And that was okay, but it wasn’t my job to show them why I had to take the paths I did. It was not my job. Period. My job was to pour everything I had into living and being the best freaking mom I knew how while living with pain and invisible diseases. So some of the “family” I ended up with were not blood, and that’s totally okay too. I had to go where my choices were respected. Honor yourself my friends. Honor your intuition with this one.
- Vacations. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ~Gustave Flaubert~ To me, people telling me they just need to get away, means that something is missing from their everyday life and they want to create that feeling of relaxation. As I tell my Club, what can you do to create that emotion at your desk? Let’s say you are struggling to go to work. How can we re-frame that? Can you wear a Hawaiian shirt, bring in a water feature, and play waves at your desk? Sure. Remember, you can create that feeling anywhere if you want to escape. If travel is truly what you crave though, that is something different. Book the trip. Go for it right now! Just decided if it’s escape (maybe partly) or adventure you are after.
- Dream Home. Laura Ingalls Wilder said “Home is the nicest word there is.” Do you crave more room? Have you decluttered lately? Do you crave a bigger place? Again, what are you holding on to that you could get rid of right this moment? Do you really just want the financial freedom to buy nice things?? << Yes. Yes. And not feel guilty. This was the extra quote I almost said today, so you get it here. “Too many people spend money they earned…to buy things they don’t want…to impress people they don’t like.” ~Will Rogers~ So I thought that was funny because you know some of these people. If you are quietly just craving a new home because you really want to change places, states or retire and have been planning for it, go for it! But if it is because your soul is itchy, I just ask that you check in and do the work before you up and move. Put in the time in your journal, or check in with your feelings and think about what it is you want that home to feel like. What is it that would be different? What are you truly craving?
That leads me to my last point on a method I teach to my Club called Manifest Journaling. It is where we actually step into the life we want to create and it is very powerful. If you want to get this month’s class, as well as over 8 centering and grounding yoga poses, content on creating peace and learning to let go of things that are holding you back as well as other goodies, have a look here at the >> Head|Heart|Health Club <<