I really need to learn how to love my job. What advice do you have for me today?
I used to be in your shoes. I remember feeling very exhausted, under-appreciated and having zero balance on my personal time and my work schedule. I felt I had no say at work and nothing changed. I felt back-stabbed by co-workers who constantly gossiped and I wondered for the thousandth time…why oh why did I become…a teacher. Then one day something changed.
I decided to love my job. Here’s how:
- I started posting morning mantras << on my personal page for everyone, including the co-workers who followed me.
- I took a more active role in meetings and volunteered to head up committees. As a chair, they had to listen to my ideas.
- I did not do 5 things at once. << This one took some time as I thought I worked better that way, but I really didn’t.
- I made sure I was clear on what was in my job description and what time constraints looked like and where my job ended. Seriously. I didn’t want to be taken advantage of over and over.
- I did not stay late anymore…where I once worked so hard I made myself ill.
- I gave myself breaks. There was actually time to go to the bathroom in my damn and I made sure everyone was aware that breaks were important.
- I created a “let’s not talk shop” lunch policy with my close friends. Let’s talk life.
- I started doing brain techniques, meditation << and mini-yoga breaks at work…with my tiny people.
- I had everything picked out the night before down to my shoes and didn’t rush in the morning.
- I decided to have a great day and give it my all, and when that appeared to not be good enough after doing all of this, I would leave if need be or change schools.
That was the year was one of my best years ever. I really put everything I had into loving my job dear reader. Was the job the thing I had romanticized in my head? No, it was not. Was the job harder than I thought? Yes. Yes it was. I just knew that I had made a commitment and I was going to do my best to change my way of thinking and see what followed.
If you are interested in learning more about what we are covering in the Club << this month (by the way, it will help you with your feelings around your job as well as life), here is my video.
>>> We would love to have you in the Club this month for our theme of Letting Go with Peace. <<< Learn more here!