You know that situation, the one that feels uncomfortable, the one you’d love to disappear?
It may be hard to hear this, but it could be YOU that’s keeping it alight!
I come across lots of situations like this, and my favourite way to explain them is to liken them to beautiful, roaring campfire.
Continue to add logs to the dancing orange flames, fuel it with attention and the fire will keep raging. Stop adding fuel to the fire and it will fizzle out. Without energy and attention, the fire will naturally come to an end.
So let’s go back to the situation that’s making you feel super uncomfortable – are you adding fuel to it? Now you’re aware that putting time, energy and attention into something, anything, makes it continue to thrive, do you think it might be time to stop adding the logs?
We don’t mean to fuel these negative situations or circumstances. And most of the time we aren’t actively seeking out drama, it simply comes knocking at our door, and often brings out the worst in us.
You know that saying, “ah, well, they couldn’t let it lie”? That usually comes after a situation has escalated out of control, because people have kept on popping energy and attention into it.
So how can we let the fire fizzle out?
Sometimes the very best way to protect ourselves is to detach from these situations. Remove the energy and attention. After all, our energy is a precious commodity. We need to use it wisely!
#2 Raise Our Awareness
Instead of attaching our thoughts and efforts to negative and angsty situations (which will draw in more of the same) it’s better to raise our awareness. If we can catch ourselves in this downward spiral before it gets out of hand, we won’t get lost in the flames.
#3 Apply Some Momentum
We need to focus on how we can move forward, and avoid being sucked in by the drama. Without positive momentum, the negativity will seep its way into all aspects of our lives.
#4 Focus on Positivity
Once our momentum’s up and running, we can look at the bigger picture from a different place. We can see more objectively and appreciate how that situation could have depleted our energy, had we not made a conscious choice to rise above it and use it more productively.
#5 Channel Your Energy in a Way That Serves You Best
What have you been neglecting to fuel lately? Are there things you’d love to do? This is where your logs (energy, time and attention) are best spent.
It’s time to step out of the drama and make a choice as to where the logs need to be placed. Choose your fire wisely and it will serve you well.
Emma Holmes is CEO & Founder of Coaching Rockstars – best described as a ‘hatchery’ for entrepreneurs with soul!
Coaching Rockstars helps heart-centred and soulful entrepreneurs to build big businesses without the icky, pushy tactics that come with most strategy and advice.www.coachingrockstars.com
It is the first day of autumn officially where I live. For me, this time always reflects change. Letting go of things. Making room for growth. All before the end of the year. I know that I have lofty goals, but there’s something about watching the trees shed their leaves that really reminds me of the work I have to do on the inside to stay healthy on the outside as well.
In order to find balance, we have to be ready to do the work. We have been holding onto fears, worries and troubles from our past for far too long.
You leave old habits behind by starting out with the thought, ‘I release the need for this in my life’. ~Wayne Dyer
I have done quiet a bit of research on pain…both physical and mental pain. I know that we carry quite a bit of pain around with us from past experiences if we have not yet released it and let it go. This is evidenced by the fact that when preparing to speak on something once, I could not get through a certain part. Everything else I could practice just fine, but this one part always got stuck in my throat and my eyes welled up with tears. It was time for me to be okay with that part of my story.
How did I start releasing what was not serving me?
The first step was to continue speaking it out loud. You don’t have to tell a room full of people; however, a trusted friend, therapist or counselor will work. I had to put a name to the emotion I was feeling and that feeling was still grief. After all these years. It was time to let go just a little, and step into healing. So as you begin to let go of this feeling, remember that whatever it was meant to teach you at the time, is long gone by now and we don’t have to stay in that place forever.
The second step for me is to write it down. It can be in your journal, or as a letter to the universe. It can be a prayer, or it can be on slips of paper you burn. Whatever you feel called to do, but write the truth. I know someone who once said to me that this was the hardest part of her healing journey. So close your eyes and think of the people, events, setting, or whatever it is that you are trying to release. Write down the feelings that are caught up in this thing. Then let it go. Don’t think on it any longer after you have gotten it out. If you are afraid you will dwell on it, burn it! You know, in a safe way that doesn’t catch anything on fire.
The last step is wiping the slate clean. A nice clean chalkboard. As a teacher, I would make sure there was not a hint of old chalk from yesterday as I wrote the next day’s lesson on the board. I loved a clean board. Visualize that whatever pain you had is truly released and washed away. Here is where I want to point out that if you are blaming others for something, let it go.
My lesson is on releasing the people who I have clearly seen lying. Apparently, I am really supposed to let this one go. I learned people are definitely covering up for something when they lie, but it has nothing to do with me. I decided to shift my perspective to one of gratitude. I am thankful I don’t have to lie about who I am to feel satisfied in my life. I am thankful I don’t have to lie to my husband, or my friends to feel liked. I see no purpose in it, but clearly it is a defense mechanism for others.
By transforming old patterns of my mind, and bringing my attention to the present moment, I am letting go of things I don’t want to carry forward with me into the next season.
End Your Day With Mindfulness
This one is actually quite difficult for most people to do, but put the phones away. Turn them off. Hide them if you must. Sit at the table and practice eating mindfully. As we connect to slowing down from our day, take a moment to notice the food. The taste. The color. The time it took to prepare. Be present as you sit and eat; furthermore, see if you can engage the senses as you bite, smell, and savor the taste. Be present in your thoughts as you end the day. Let go of anything you don’t want to take with you for the next day. Continue this practice daily and you will see an improvement in your mood as well.
Want more ideas right where you can reach them? See the Work With Me tab.
Guest post: by Gregg Prescott, M.S. Editor, In5D.com
50 inspirational quotes from John Lennon. John Lennon was one of those rare people who was more influenced by peace and harmony than living an affluent life. His words were not only deep but inspiring. While John did not lead a very long life, his words remain immortal.
50. “Love is the greatest refreshment in life.”
49. “Part of me suspects that I’m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I’m God Almighty.”
48. “My role in society, or any artist’s or poet’s role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.”
47. “That’s what the great masters and mistresses have been saying ever since time began. They can point the way, leave signposts and little instructions in various books that are now called holy and worshipped for the cover of the book and not for what it says, but the instructions are all there for all to see, have always been and always will be.”
46. “Everybody loves you when you’re six foot in the ground.”
45. “There is an alternative to war. It’s staying in bed and growing your hair.”
44. “My defenses were so great. The cocky rock and roll hero who knows all the answers was actually a terrified guy who didn’t know how to cry. Simple.”
43. “Well, I don’t want to be king, I want to be real.”
42. “Life is very short, and there’s no time for fussing and fighting my friends”
41. “Trying to please everybody is impossible – if you did that, you’d end up in the middle with nobody liking you. You’ve just got to make the decision about what you think is your best, and do it.”
40. “I’m not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I’ve always been a freak. So I’ve been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I’m one of those people.”
39. “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”
38. “One thing I can tell you is you have to be free. Come together, right now, over me.”
37. “Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.”
36. “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.”
35. “Music is everybody’s possession. It’s only publishers who think that people own it.”
34. “Only by trying on other people’s clothes do we find what size we are.”
33. “Produce your own dream. If you want to save Peru, go save Peru. It’s quite possible to do anything, but not if you put it on the leaders and the parking meters. Don’t expect Carter or Reagan or John Lennon or Yoko Ono or Bob Dylan or Jesus Christ to come and do it for you. You have to do it yourself.”
32. “Declare it. Just the same way we declare war. That is how we will have peace… we just need to declare it.”
31. “Surrealism had a great effect on me because then I realized that the imagery in my mind wasn’t insanity. Surrealism to me is reality.”
30. “When you do something noble and beautiful and nobody noticed, do not be sad. For the sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps.”
29. “Happiness is just how you feel when you don’t feel miserable.”
28. “If everyone could just be happy with themselves and the choices people around them make, the world would instantly be a better place!”
27. “You know the way people begin to look like their dogs? Well, we’re beginning to look like each other.”
26. “A mistake is only an error, it becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it.”
25. I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It’s just that the translations have gone wrong.
24. “The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn’t the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.”
23. “…Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I don’t know what will go first, rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. We’re more popular than Jesus now. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me.”
22. “We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
21. “When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind.”
20. “You’re all geniuses, and you’re all beautiful. You don’t need anyone to tell you who you are. You are what you are. Get out there and get peace, think peace, and live peace and breathe peace, and you’ll get it as soon as you like.”
19. I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?
18. “Everything is clearer when you’re in love.”
17. “I’m not really a career person; I’m a gardener, basically.”
16. “Sometimes you wonder, I mean really wonder. I know we make our own reality, and we always have a choice, but how much is preordained? Is there always a fork in the road, and are there two preordained paths that are equally preordained? There could be hundreds of paths where one could go this way or that way — there’s a chance, and it’s very strange sometimes.”
15. “Peace is not something you wish for; It’s something you make, Something you do , Something you are, And something you give away”
14. “Why in the world are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear. Why on earth are you there, when you’re everywhere-come and get your share.”
13. “Creativity is a gift. It doesn’t come through if the air is cluttered.”
12. “Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we’re being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I’m liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That’s what’s insane about it.”
11. “Love is like a precious plant. You can’t just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it’s going to get on by itself. You’ve got to keep on watering it. You’ve got to really look after it and nurture it.”
10. “You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”
9. “There are no problems, only solutions.”
8. “There’s nothing new under the sun. All the roads lead to Rome. And people cannot provide it for you. I can’t wake you up. You can wake you up. I can’t cure you. You can cure you.”
7. “Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.”
6. “There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done
Nothing you can sing that can’t be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game.
Nothing you can make that can’t be made.
No one you can save that can’t be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time.
Nothing you can know that isn’t known.
Nothing you can see that isn’t shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be.
5. “Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.”
4. “If you want peace, you won’t get it with violence.”
3. “All we are saying is give peace a chance.”
2. “It matters not who you love, where you love, why you love, when you love or how you love, it matters only that you love”
1. “Love, Love, Love. All you need is love. Love is all you need.”
About the Author: Gregg Prescott, M.S. is the founder and editor of In5D and BodyMindSoulSpirit. You can find his In5D Radio shows on the In5D Youtube channel. Gregg is also a transformational speaker and promotes spiritual, metaphysical and esoteric conferences in the United States through In5dEvents. His love and faith for humanity motivates him to work in humanity’s best interests 12-15+ hours a day, 365 days a year.
Gregg is a friend of theburnedhand.com and has given permission to share his article here. Thank you Gregg!