an even distribution of weight enabling someone or something to remain upright and steady. (just one example from Google).
As an entrepreneur, I think I am slightly addicted to creating new things. Blogging, creating new course material, posting, scheduling, drafting newsletters, recording material, and of course engaging with my closed group. When I am not thinking about my business, I am probably trying to “rest” which then involves me daydreaming about ways to get more people engaged in their own lives and what I can do to help them take back their lives…which means I am daydreaming about work technically.
In my off time, I then watch yoga or read about yoga, or even pin yoga sequences which gets me thinking about how to help people with my next yoga class. You get my drift. I am actually relaxed to a certain degree thinking about ways to help others.
Here is where I start to realize that I really have to strive to create that balance between “starting work” and taking time off from “work”. Chances are, if you are reading this, you are trying to figure out how to create more balance in your life as well.
I began to go over the same routines that I have created for my Head|Heart|Health Club because I know that in order to talk the talk, I have to walk the walk. Who wants a wellness coach that isn’t able to find time for balance? Not me.
Creating balance in your head.
The mind needs to rest. One of the things that most of my clients tell me is that in order to create a more peaceful life, they have to stop the anxiety and over thinking. This creates a cycle of stress in the mind, which then leads to the would haves, should haves, and could haves. The thing is, if you could have, you would have, and it’s too late to go back and change the should have. We can only move forward. So how do we begin?
7 Ways to Create More Balance:
- Create this balance. I teach a version of journal therapy that embraces the whole self. The things we try to even hide from our heads. Any illusions about who you are get stripped away until you find yourself realizing that for the first time in your life, you can create yourself anew. I give you the resources to explore how you want to feel and what steps you take to create this new balance.
- Shift into being. I will admit, this one took me some time to grasp. Shifting from thinking, into being involves listening to what my heart has to say as well as my head. It can’t be one-sided as that is definitely not balanced. If I start to feel like a stagnant pond, what can I do to get the water flowing again? I make a list of things that shift me into being. For example, meditation, exercise, gardening, walking, and of course yoga all shift me into that fluid motion of being. What would be on your list?
- Manage your time. Have you set a timer as you are working in order to create that space you need just to breathe? Do you have a sticky note on your calendar that you will see first thing in the morning that says “Stop at noon to eat.” You might laugh, but how many people work through lunch? Lots. How many people umm hold the urge to take a bathroom break? How is that staying balanced my friend? It’s not serving your body to fight its natural rhythm.
- Stay on track. Okay, so perhaps you didn’t do a good job yesterday and the meeting ran longer, you ate over your desk, and you picked the kids up late…like the last one to arrive at daycare. Here is a good moment to say, do I want to continue to live like this? Is this stress worth these extra few moments of work? How am I being when I pick my kids up? Am I in the moment or am I on my phone trying to still work? What will they remember? What example am I setting? <<< Yes. This might depress the hell out of you to think about, but think about it for a moment. Not to feel guilty, as that won’t help. But to make changes to your schedule.
- Build extra time. Set your alarm 5 minutes earlier. In that 5 minutes, align yourself to HOW you want your day to look. Really think about it. You have all the time in the world (this is a visualization), your drive to work goes smoothly as you listen to your favorite music. Once you get into work flow, things go exactly how you want. You look up 5 minutes before lunch and are ready to take a break. You walk outside for a while just to unwind before you eat your lunch mindfully. Thinking about how great your life is. As the day winds down, you leave work 10 minutes early…not late. Everything is as it should be and you feel balanced. Complete. Visualizations are key to creating this shift into building the life you want.
- Face your fears. Naturally, things come up that derail us. If you know my story, you know that balance in the face of illness is difficult, but necessary. I don’t want to hear “I don’t have time for that.” None of us think we do until it is too late to do anything about the heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke, etc, etc. Being proactive about creating this balance will help you face your fears and examine your excuses. If you missed the last check-up, call today. If you splurged on the cheat day, start over. Just move forward and do the best you can. That’s all anyone can do. Don’t beat yourself up over your past mistakes.
- Live life now. You guys. My friend D is fighting cancer again for the second time. Life is meant to be lived to the fullest while we work on creating this balance. Life is hard. It doesn’t come with an instruction manual and Lord knows I don’t have all the answers. I don’t think I would want them…I would ask for a cure for cancer, but other than that right now, I don’t want to know what is going to happen in my future. Life is what is happening right now. The present moment is the one in which we start to create this balance that is necessary for our well-being.
I could not go back and change the events of my past and to be honest, I would not be where I am today if my road hadn’t been full of pit stops, booby traps, and surprises. However, it was also full of wonder, love, and empowering moments that helped shape my wellness coaching for the better. I would love to have you on this journey with me in my closed group as we travel through the head, heart, and soul of the matter into holistic healing. Thank you for reading my friends.