Here it is, the summer solstice. Or as the bard would have it, a fabulous tribute to A Midsummer Night’s Dream. One of my favorite quotes from that describes me perfectly.
“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”
― William Shakespeare,
On June 21st or 22nd in the Northern Hemisphere, people everywhere have celebrated renewal, life, fertility, and hopefully a good harvest.
To be honest, I would like to be here today:
But if that is not an option for you, as it is not currently an option for me either, then I have a few ideas for you to celebrate today and tomorrow should you desire.
5 Fun Things to do on Summer Solstice:
- Do some gardening with herbs if you can. I recently went to my favorite local garden center (it is owned by a local family), and I purchased lemon verbena, honey lavender, and rosemary, which is a favorite of mine. I already have my chives, thyme, mint, and some catnip actually (mosquitoes don’t like it). I have been infusing my tea with fresh herbs, cooking with it and just smelling it. My family has been gardening for years and my dad is considered a master gardener, so identifying plants runs deep, but herbs have been a favorite since my first taste of basil. Yummy. An old favorite is a tomato/basil sandwich with nothing else. Just a bit of Himalayan Salt and pepper.
- Make a fairy garden. I have been a bit obsessed with fairies for as long as I can remember. I started collecting pewter fairies, castles, gnomes and anything I could as a pre-teen, and have passed on my things to my youngest teen. But this new craze of fairy gardens can be expensive. So just get an empty pot, some dirt, grab some sticks on a walk, bark, moss (that’s what grows in my yard), and make a tiny display inviting the wee folk into your display. You can make tiny mushrooms, houses, and put a few of the plants that stay small like succulents and walkables (they will spread, but can be walked on should you want to do this in your garden). Now I have to put another favorite quote in here from my college days. “Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
- Practice yoga or meditate! HEY. I am doing that tonight!! Yes, I make up a special class for my friends and then we sip wine after, but you don’t have to do anything fancy. In my Club, I break down a few yoga moves that can be done anywhere, including a chair, but you can just do a few Sun Sals. I linked that for you to watch as she has a sweet energy.
- Set intentions of what you want to come into your life! My club members have really gotten into the habit of this as it is so good to focus on what we want in our lives. I do this monthly with them as we really clear out the old and then shift our thinking into how we want the next few weeks to look. Focus on the feeling at the end, and then yoke that feeling towards you with all your might as you write out the intention. I know you might be reading this thinking I am cray, and I won’t disagree with you, but I have changed my life and continue to do so each and every month. Need proof of what I speak? You can read my about me here.
- Create a new self-care ritual. My something new this month seems to be bringing me pain, but I am starting to feel alive again after a knee injury. I admit I am somewhat hermit-y << that’s a real word. I keep a tight circle, and I force myself to expand it when I feel it shrinking…as it periodically does because of my nature to keep to myself. However, I joined a new ermmm torture chamber, others call it a gym/personal training type place. Anyway, I think it is good for me and I have been setting my alarm earlier. That is itself is a miracle I tell you as I can sleep like the dead, but usually only those two hours right before I wake up, so I sleep late. Anyway, I have all the excuses you can think of down, but not this time. In order to exact change, I myself and no one else can make me get out of bed. If there is something you have been wanting to try that’s new, I say go for it!
I hope this helped you think about the things you want to invite in your life, and not just on the summer solstice. Summer always brings that child-like wonder and energy that might be dormant, so if you want a helping hand or two, come find me. I have some amazing content geared just for your soul. I use my empath abilities to check into the collective of the group and see what we really need from a Head|Heart|Health perspective. Get out and enjoy the day my friends!