My throat was getting tight as I was trying to find a quote for you guys. This happens when I read some of my past blog articles on what has happened in the world. The quote that got me thinking is as follows:
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. ~Gandhi
I realized that I need to hear more…and just let it sink in after every quote. Really feel the conviction in his words and the belief that everything will be okay for our society. I know that I am not alone in this.
10 Gandhi Quotes Everyone Needs:
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. How true is this in your life right now? What areas of you life do you feel you need to work on?
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. This is a favorite of mine. I repeat it after horrible national tragedies for the reason that I need to hear it.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
Do you struggle with this one? I admit, that I do. I repeat this quote when I know it is still a lesson to be learned.
Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.
Think of the times you didn’t want to let someone down because of your love for them. This quote speaks volumes.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. I have a bookmark with this quote to remind me to do more good in the world. We all could benefit from this quote.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. This one is a bit harder for me, but I know that I need to make every moment count. Can you think of something you are putting off until tomorrow that you really need to get done today?
- Hate the sin, love the sinner. How easy is this one to do? Practice makes perfect. I have a hard time with this one as well…so I keep practicing it. That is the best any of us can do. We have to remember that we are all human and what we dislike in someone else is actually the wrong they are doing. Even if they feel they are entitled, it is after all their mistake. Their life.
- One needs to be slow to form convictions, but once formed they must be defended against the heaviest odds. I love one so much. I have always been told that I have a really hard head, which is fine with me. Once I have decided to form a conviction, on what is right and wrong, or just in this world, I will defend it. Integrity should be defended as well as truth. If we let these things fall away, it would eat away at our very being. That’s why when I had a co-worker who knew right from wrong, and never said anything, just let bad things happen to avoid conflict, I had to remind them of their duty as an educator. Just because it makes us uncomfortable is not an excuse to let bad things happen.
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. Again, for me personally, this quote hits home. So many times I could have given up on my quest to make a better life for myself. To find the answers I needed to fix my declining health. But I never gave up. I am persistent and of course, hard-headed.
- An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. This is my friend’s all-time favorite quote…so much so it was her license plate for a while. What do we learn from striking out at others as they have done to us? Does it really ever change things in our lives? Make us feel better? I would caution a guess as to the fact that it changes nothing and makes us feel worse. There are ways we can make our voices heard.