Have you ever thought about luck? Looking over at that guy in the corner office, with the view, while you are stuck in the cubicle, have you ever thought to yourself “Some guys have all the luck.” Well, what if he didn’t just have all the luck. What if he created it for himself?
For the past 33 years I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. ~Steve Jobs
I know that I often ask you some really hard questions on the fan page…or even during my live chats. However, that being said, I have noticed a really great pattern. There are some people who really appreciate thinking outside of the box. These are the people who I can see changing their lives starting right now. Today. Going forth and using these 10 easy ways to make their own luck.
What are they doing that is different?
For starters, they are saying yes to things that they want to do…and aren’t just closing the door on opportunity because it doesn’t look exactly like they expected. Sometimes opportunity is, in fact, disguised as hard work. I borrowed that from Thomas Edison, who actually said: Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
10 Easy Ways to Make Your Own Luck:
- Reach out…and network. I am going to be honest, as someone who works from home and has dachshunds as my office staff, when I need to reach out, I go through the interwebs usually or I message a friend who knows the answer. I do admit that I have a hard time with this one and can count 5 people who are my go-to people. If this one is hard for you, write down your go-to people right now. See how many you can come up with!
- Is the glass half-full, half-empty, or are you missing the point? It’s refillable. Sometimes, the answer is one you haven’t even thought of. Where is your optimism? I love the question above because the first time I saw that quote, I laughed. Why hasn’t anyone pointed that out before? Duh. So as you are looking at something new, think optimistically and out-of-the-box about what is going on.
- Do you spend time visualizing the outcome for success? Let’s say you grew up in a household where ohhh I don’t know, let’s say your dad, thought that everything was going to turn out awfully. There was always only one way it could turn out. One way things were going to happen, and it was sure to be a natural disaster. It is now up to you, and only you, to reprogram this kind of thinking by replacing this “programming” with better visualization techniques. Start with the end result you want to achieve and work backward. I talked about this last week, but that’s exactly what Jim Carrey did before he landed his first big movie role. He wrote himself the check for acting services rendered, and he visualized every detail. It is a powerful practice.
- Give freely of your wisdom to others. If I have learned something that is working for me, I quite simply share it. As you can read, I have tons of content on this blog shared with you guys about how to improve your life. I believe in helping others by what I have learned…thus the title for this blog:)
- Trust your gut feelings. This one also sometimes feels a lot like work to me…and sometimes it’s hard work. I have to make calls in my business daily about what is working and not working. Things that don’t feel right for me usually aren’t. If something is bugging me enough that it is sending me a signal of my intuition to change something, well, I have to listen. That is where the luck is.
- The uptight people are the luckiest…wait. Hmm. The truth is, the people who stay in their comfort zone, who only follow the same path, who have to do things this way and this way only, well. Those are not the people I have seen creating their own luck. I have seen the creative people going out on a limb and saying I wonder what will happen is I tweak this here. I wonder what will happen if I put this large sum of money into this account or this investment or this new thing. Trust me, it is hard to change old patterns of thought, but if you do, that is where the magic lies.
- Luck is going to jump out and find you…if you know where to look. This is partly true. I go with my hunches and call people up who I think might want to partner with me in my cool yoga adventures. I have a wish list of people to call…and by doing so, I have created a really cool opportunity for me locally. If I hadn’t done that, it wouldn’t have jumped out and found me. I put it on my list and said, what if she said yes to this idea? What have I got to lose? Fear. Okay. I am calling. And you know what? She loves my plan and asked me to come back monthly.
- Take a big chance and push through the scary stuff. Just like above, I have a “This is going to be scary, but what the heck.” list. On that list is lots of ideas about things I see happening in the future for me. One idea is for when I “retire”. I already have ideas that far out, yes. And it is so freaking wild that I love it. Madly love this idea and want to do it now actually. But, to be honest, I have kids at home still, so no Aimee, you can’t up and move to the mountains yet. And have this cool yoga society of hippies. But one day you will. So if you need a 5 year list, or a 10 year list, create one.
- Don’t go back to that one time in the past when you failed miserably. So, not everything always works out. I have lost money. Lots of it actually, and I have gained money, lots of it actually. One of my dumbest things that seemed truly brilliant was my timeshare in Las Vegas. HAHAHA. No. Just say no to timeshares. They are like drugs. Say no. Anyway, for a while I thought about that mistake and then realized it was a learning experience…a costly one. On where NOT to invest your money. But hey, for a minute it was cool.
- Woo-hoo! You have done it. You created your own luck and are lucky forever now, so you can take a break. Nope! Not happening. You will always be thinking so you will have to constantly realign your thoughts to the present moment and to what you are doing. How are you viewing things? How are you being? What is your relationship with money like? Do you think in the negative and live from a scarcity point of view? Does one bill throw you over the edge like
my dadthis acquaintance I know?
Improving your relationship with your thoughts around luck and creating your own luck is what we are talking about in the Head|Heart|Health Club. <<< over there is how to enroll for less than $10 a month. I teach people how to activate their gifts through daily practices in mindfulness and connection with the heart. It truly changes your outlook on things and I would love to have you join my group! If this article made you think, feel free to share it with others or use the pin button.